Keep up with the latest information and developments in the fire world
Sheila Pantry OBE
On the 10th October 2019 the Fire Information Group UK (FIG UK) held their annual seminar to help members keep up to date with some of the latest developments in the wider fire world.
The speakers discussed a wide of range topics and details of their presentations can be found on the FIG UK website.
The programme included the following:
- Introduction by Chair Sheila Pantry OBE BA FCLIP, IOSH Lifetime Achievement Award winner 2013. FIG UK – Looking back – Looking forward and new ways of working. Setting the scene. Worldwide Fire, health and safety information sources – including new topics, research and developments and where to keep up to date.
- Dr James L D Glockling, BEng PhD MIFireE, Technical Director, Fire Protection Association, Director RISCAuthority talk was on Fire Research into Practice and Recent fire research including fires in thatched roofs. Also, where to keep up to date in information.
- Chris Jones, Chairman Waste Industry Safety and Health Forum (WISH), Director of Risk Management and Compliance, Cory Environmental discussed WISH fire guidance and tests – Reducing fire risk at waste management sites including Waste Industry and fires – current and future work. Also, where to keep up to date in information.
- Alasdair Hay, CBE QFSM MBA MCIPD MIFireE, Chairman, Fire Service Research and Training Trust described What the FSRTT does and how it can help those working in the fire industry – also where to keep up to date in information. See Fire Service Research and Training Trust.
- David Lane, MIFireE, AssocRINA, FRIN, Director of Training Events, Skybound Rescuer explained about the Missions in the use of Drones (UAS / RPAS) for Public Safety and Search and Rescue (SAR) – Future ways of working.
FIG UK membership available, visit: www.figuk.org.uk/form.html
Help is near…
To help organisations – managers, directors, supervisors and workers and especially those teaching in colleges and universities there is OSH UPDATE + FIRE – the long-established electronic collection of 26 databases of full text and bibliographic authoritative and validated information on all aspects of working life. OSH UPDATE + FIRE is constantly updated with worldwide information.
If you need information on all aspects of workplace health and safety and much more – then have a look at OSH UPDATE + FIRE which is a unique collection of information sources collected together in one place.
Information seekers will find a wealth of authoritative and validated advice from these global sources. Full text documents and references on research results, best practices, case studies, journal articles, reports, advice and guidance, legislation and much more are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE.
Information seekers will find a wealth of authoritative and validated advice from these global sources. Full text documents and references on research results, best practices, case studies, journal articles, reports, advice and guidance, legislation, accidents and incident reports and much more are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE.
Why not try OSH UPDATE + FIRE for yourself? Take a 15-day free trial. Why be without quality OSH and fire information?
Contact Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd. for 15-day FREE trials for all services that are very cost-effective and easy to use. Why pay more for information? Go to: www.sheilapantry.com/interest.html
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more that has been brought together in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your health, safety, fire and information requirements!
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as occupational lung disease, musculoskeletal disorders and work-related stress air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, wellbeing and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection having information going back over 80 years or more so useful for researchers.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world covering very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2019 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff and update their information resources.
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety and fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.
Update your 2019/20 diaries with training for workers at all levels
Whether you are a manager, director, safety representative, supervisors or worker it is time to
- check out the training needed in your workplace.
- look at the latest additions to the Diary of Events and you will see plans have been made already worldwide well into 2020 offering training courses, symposiums, webinars and conferences in many places in the world on a wide range of subjects.
- make sure you do not put off training for yourself and your staff. In these days of tighter budgets perhaps training may be put on the “back-burner” – but think again how you can keep up with the latest techniques and training opportunities.
- remember accidents and ill health in the workplace is costly.
Remember that even if you cannot attend these many events, speakers and organisers are often willing to share their knowledge. Look at the details – where possible, we add in the web sites of these events so you can request further information. And do let me know if you are organising any OSHE events so that these can be added to the OSHWORLD Diary.
This month’s OSHWORLD FOCUS is entitled Bookmarks from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) which has been produced by The Bookmark Society, UK.
OSHWORLD – your portal to some great OSH web sites in the world
Wherever you are in the world have a look at your health, safety, chemical, fire and environment procedures in your workplace and update them. Your review may also indicate training requirements and re-thinking how systems and services can be improved. This is where the free-of-charge OSHWORLD can help you.
In addition to the above we hope that you find the information in OSHWORLD useful in your daily work. Globally there are continually new titles, news items, new products so remember to look at the News to find the latest information from a range of worldwide sources.
Use OSHWORLD as your portal to many hundreds of validated and authoritative web sites that you can find in the Country and Subject links we offer. New subject topics are constantly brought together on web sites, e.g. nanotechnology and the workplace.
Most information services have a reference shelf where you can quickly check the reference sources – so OSHWORLD brings you a collection of Reference sources and also teaches you how to Search the Internet.
Visit the various Bookshops to order any new document as they are being published. Many of these Bookshops have a constant stream of new titles available.
Please send any suggestions or comments about OSHWORLD – your portal to validated and authoritative information. Remember also to look at our other really useful sites – www.sheilapantry.com and why not make a free entry about your company’s products in www.shebuyersguide.com.
Don’t forget to learn from history – visit
An invaluable resource for students, lecturers, trainers, health and safety professionals and others with a general interest in industrial history, the site sets out developments from the 1802 Factory Act all the way through to the most recent regulatory changes made by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Also see www.sheilapantry.com/memorial
Don’t work harder – work smarter! Be ahead of the game.
Well did you have a zero accident, incident-free and healthy 2018 in your workplace? Some would argue that this is not possible! But keep on trying again in 2019.
And do continue to make plans for your campaigns for 2019 and beyond!