Training people in the workplace: Now is the time to re-assess training needs for everyone – from Directors to the latest Recruit
Sheila Pantry OBE
The many recent incidents and accidents reported worldwide indicates the need for all those responsible for workplaces to assess how up-to-date is the information needed in all jobs to ensure that all workers can perform their daily work safely and healthily.
All workers including those responsible for health and safety. The law says that your employer must protect your health and safety. The law also says that you must not do anything that could harm yourself or other workers. Employers and workers need to work together to make a place of work safe. Your employer must tell you:
- if there is anything dangerous about your job;
- how to do your job safely and healthily;
- what is done to protect your health and safety;
- how to get first aid treatment;
- what to do in an emergency;
- what is needed to protect you at work (such as, clothing and equipment).
In some jobs you can have your health checked if there is a danger of ill health because of your work. If for instance you work in a country such as the UK you can also see your employer’s safety policy statement. Employers must have one if five or more people are employed.
- Training and retraining to do your job safely and healthily
It essential that training needs are constantly updated. It is essential that everyone is trained to do their job correctly, and especially young newcomers to the workplace.
Your Duties as an employee
You must take care of yourself and others affected by your work;
- you must use things properly;
- you should not do things if you do not know how to do them safely;
- you must tell someone if you see something that is not safe and could be dangerous;
- you must do what your employer tells you to do to protect your health and safety at work.
Alongside the latest developments is the need to keep up-to-date with new health, safety and fire information. You will need to quickly gain access to legislation, guidance and advice that is constantly being up-to-date and relevant. Your first port of call is to an aggregation of 26 databases collected together in an electronic service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE that currently contains over 1,137,000 records with around 102,000 full text documents from worldwide!
Lecturers and trainers have responsibilities too…
Those teaching and lecturing, especially in universities and colleges will also need to acquire the latest information. This is to ensure that their students are up-to-date and are taught how to develop methodologies to ensure that when searching for information they go to authoritative and validated sources.
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your health, safety and fire information requirements
- OSH UPDATE is easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as air pollution, workplace health risks, the health risks of nanotechnology, stress and aggression in the workplace, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, corporate killing and corporate social responsibility, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- OSH UPDATE + FIRE is long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- Arguably the largest electronic collection in the world in these very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff and update their information resources.
Check out these successful efforts that are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE and introduce them into your workplace!
It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up-to-date in this fast-changing world of ours. Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs. So, help is at hand for those working in health, safety and fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.
Update your 2017 diary with training for workers at all levels
Whether you are a manager, safety representative, supervisors check out the training needed in your workplace. Look at the latest additions to the Diary of Events and you will see plans have been made already worldwide for the rest 2017 and well into 2018 offering training courses, symposiums, webinars and conferences in many places in the world on a wide range of subjects.
Do not put off training for yourself and your staff. In these days of tighter budgets perhaps training may be put on the “back-burner” – but think again how you can keep up with the latest techniques and training opportunities.
Remember that even if you cannot attend these many events, speakers and organisers are often willing to share their knowledge. Look at the details – where possible, we add in the web sites of these events so you can request further information. And do let me know if you are organising any OSHE events so that these can be added to the OSHWORLD Diary.
This month’s OSHWORLD FOCUS is entitled News from Poland: Poster Competition 2017.
OSHWORLD – your portal to some great OSH web sites in the world
Wherever you are in the world have a look at your health, safety, chemical, fire and environment procedures in your workplace and update them. Your review may also indicate training requirements and re-thinking how systems and services can be improved. This is where the free-of-charge OSHWORLD can help you.
In addition to the above we hope that you find the information in OSHWORLD useful in your daily work. Globally there are continually new titles, news items, new products so remember to look at the News to find the latest information from a range of worldwide sources.
Use OSHWORLD as your portal to many hundreds of validated and authoritative web sites that you can find in the Country and Subject links we offer. New subject topics are constantly brought together on web sites, e.g. nanotechnology and the workplace.
Most information services have a reference shelf where you can quickly check the reference sources – so OSHWORLD brings you a collection of Reference sources and also teaches you how to Search the Internet.
Visit the various Bookshops to order any new document as they are being published. Many of these Bookshops have a constant stream of new titles available.
Please send any suggestions or comments about OSHWORLD – your portal to validated and authoritative information. Remember also to look at our other really useful sites – www.sheilapantry.com and why not make a free entry about your company’s products in www.shebuyersguide.com.
Don’t forget to learn from history – visit
An invaluable resource for students, lecturers, trainers, health and safety professionals and others with a general interest in industrial history, the site sets out developments from the 1802 Factory Act all the way through to the most recent regulatory changes made by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Don’t work harder – work smarter! Be ahead of the game.
Well did you have a zero accident, incident-free and healthy year in 2016 in your workplace? Some would argue that this is not possible! But keep on trying again in 2017!
And do continue to make plans for your campaigns for 2018 and beyond!