46th ILO Governing Body 2022 – The world needs a new social contract says ILO Director-General
The founding values of the ILO, established in 1919, remain equally relevant today, the ILO Director-General has told the opening of the 346th Session of the Governing Body.
“The world needs a new social contract”, the ILO’s new Director-General, Gilbert F. Houngbo, has told members of the ILO’s Governing Body at the opening session of their last meeting of 2022.
In his first address to the Governing Body since taking up office, the Director-General said, “the founding values of the ILO in 1919 remain relevant,” adding “I pledge to do my utmost to defend these founding values of the ILO – our common values of peace, social justice, equitable economic growth and solidarity, while respecting and protecting the environment.”
Houngbo called for a “Global Coalition for Social Justice” to face the challenges currently disrupting the world of work. The Coalition will entail the participation of a wide range of stakeholders and will work to “facilitate and strengthen collaboration and collective action … [and] serve as a framework for policy coherence on social justice at the wider multilateral level and beyond,” he told delegates.
During its meeting the Governing Body will also discuss issues arising from the 110th Session (2022) of the International Labour Conference concerning decent work and the social and solidarity economy and the inclusion of a safe and healthy working environment in the ILO’s framework of fundamental principles and rights at work. In addition, it will look at ensuring decent work in supply chains and promoting productivity systems for decent work, among many other items on its 47-point agenda.
The Governing Body is the executive council of the ILO. It meets three times a year in Geneva to take decisions on ILO policy and establish the programme and budget. The 346th session runs from 31 October to 10 November 2022.
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more that has been brought together in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your health, safety and fire information requirements!
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- is easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, wellbeing and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world in these very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2022 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff whether they are working from home or actually in the workplace and update their information resources.
Check out these successful efforts that are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE and OSHWORLD and introduce them into your workplace!
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety, fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.