UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Annual Science Review 2021
Sheila Pantry OBE
HSE is proud to publish this year’s review, COVID-19: Collaboration in a time of crisis.
The 2021 Annual Science Review focuses on how the HSE robust scientific evidence has been supporting the government’s response to the pandemic. We look at HSE’s contribution to the evolving global evidence base and the routes we have used to share that knowledge, including:
- Work to support the rapid increase in supply of suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) to the NHS front line
- Biosafety training in relation to COVID-19, including for workers handling bulk quantities of live virus for vaccine research
- Enabling additional hand sanitisers to reach the market quickly
- Developing an understanding of transmission through computational fluid dynamics simulations.
- Supporting and informing the Scientific Advice to Government in Emergencies (SAGE) response to COVID-19
The review also highlights the range of studies HSE scientists are working on to support healthy and safe work in Great Britain, including:
- The safe introduction of hydrogen technologies and supporting the UK target to achieve net zero emissions
- Assessing the evidence for safe levels of exposure to toxicological hazards
- The evidence supporting an award-winning campaign that reduced the risk of Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks
- Supporting industry on a commercial basis, such as using our world class experiment facilities to test the heat resistance of components for jet engines
Download the review and learn more about the difference HSE makes through their commitment to science.
Read about HSE Chief Scientific Advisor Professor Andrew Curran’s personal highlights of the review in the press release.
COVID-19: Science and evidence
For further information on HSE’s scientific evidence and research on COVID-19, visit HSE coronavirus webpage.
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic, air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, violence and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety including mental health and much more.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the World with very wide range of subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE! And the subscription is very budget friendly!
The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work, ILO – the International Labour Organisation, governments, and many more similar global organisations and national occupational health and safety institutions and organisations.
Because of the current world challenges to control the pandemic it is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2021 and beyond decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff and most definitely update their information resources.
Check out these successful efforts that are collected in OSH UPDATE + FIRE and OSHWORLD and introduce them into your workplace!
It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
So, help is at hand for those working in health, safety and fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy-to-use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE that is constantly being updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs for a 15-DAY FREE NO OBLIGATION TRIAL contact: Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd email: email@example.com or fill in the Interest form www.sheilapantry.com/interest.html
Keep up to date with the very latest authoritative and validated guidance and advice by using the very affordable OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com long established electronic collection service containing over 1,170,550 million pieces of information including legislation.