How good is your leadership in occupational safety and health?
The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have produced a list that is designed to check your status as a leader on health and safety. How do you demonstrate the board's commitment to health and safety?
- What do you do to ensure appropriate board-level review of health and safety?
- What have you done to ensure your organisation, at all levels including the board, receives competent health and safety advice?
- How are you ensuring all staff - including the board - are sufficiently trained and competent in their health and safety responsibilities?
- How confident are you that your workforce, particularly safety representatives, are consulted properly on health and safety matters, and that their concerns are reaching the appropriate level including, as necessary, the board?
- What systems are in place to ensure your organisation's risks are assessed, and that sensible control measures are established and maintained?
- How well do you know what is happening on the ground, and what audits or assessments are undertaken to inform you about what your organisation and contractors actually do?
- What information does the board receive regularly about health and safety - e.g. performance data and reports on injuries and work-related ill health?
- What targets have you set to improve health and safety and do you benchmark your performance against others in your sector or beyond?
- Where changes in working arrangements have significant implications for health and safety, how are these brought to the attention of the board?
See also the HSE resources section for advice and tools that may help you answer these questions.
OSH UPDATE and FIREINF electronic information services
Information Seekers will find a wealth of authoritative and validated advice from around the world in these well established electronic services. Industry leaders will find many answers to the questions above. Also there is a wealth of information on best practices, case studies, journal articles, conference proceedings, research reports, legislation, standards are all in OSH UPDATE and FIREINF.
OSH UPDATE www.oshupdate.com is CONTINUOUSLY expanding and has 20 databases of full text and bibliographic records from authoritative organisations such as US NIOSH, UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work. It is a unique collection of quality information. A recent addition is the MHAID database containing major hazards accidents and incidents reports which complements the many thousands of similar reports within OSH UPDATE collection.
Likewise FIREINF www.fireinf.com is CONTINUOUSLY expanding and has 17 databases of full text and bibliographic records from authoritative organisations around the world.
OSH UPDATE and FIREINF services contain both full text and bibliographic information and are continuously enlarged as new information is published. These services are used by organisations, universities and companies worldwide and have been available since the late 1990s.
Why not try OSH UPDATE and FIREINF for yourself? Take a 15 day free trial of these collections of authoritative and validated information.