2.5 million adults in UK economically inactive due to long-term ill health
More than 2.5 million in the UK are economically inactive due to one or more long-term health conditions, ONS data has revealed.
Over half of this number (1.3 million) suffer from ‘depression, bad nerves or anxiety’ but musculoskeletal issues also factor high on the list, with many people reporting interlinked health issues.
The data report, which covers Quarter one of this year, or January to March, shows that of the total off sick, 38 per cent report having five or more health conditions, up from 34 per cent in 2019.
“All this suggests that many people have interlinked and complex health issues, which might mean that they have more than one health barrier to hinder their return to the world of work,” explained Darren Morgan, director of statistics production at the ONS.
1.35 million people are reporting a musculoskeletal health condition. Since 2019, problems with legs or feet rose by 243,000 (29 per cent) and problems with back or neck rose by 217,000 (28 per cent).
Long term sickness overall is also on the rise, with 36 per cent of UK adults naming at least one long-term health condition, up from 31 per cent in the same period in 2019.
It comes as the TUC published a report showing that 1 in 2 workers feel that work is getting more intense and demanding.
The TUC survey of 2,198 workers in England and Wales found that four in 10 (38 per cent) are feeling more stressed at work, or required do more work in the same amount of time.
TUC General Secretary Paul Nowak said: “Gruelling hours, pace and expectations at work are growing problems up and down the country. This is a recipe for burnt out Britain. Chronic staff shortages, intrusive surveillance tech and poor enforcement of workers’ rights have all combined to create a perfect storm. It’s little wonder that so many feel exhausted at the end of their working day.”
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more that has been brought together in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your happiness, health, safety and fire information requirements!
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- is easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, mental health, wellbeing and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bioterrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world in these very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2023 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff whether they are working from home or actually in the workplace and update their information resources.
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety, fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.