UK RoSPA hails ILO’s incorporation of safety and health as a fundamental workers’ right
UK based Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has in June 2022 warmly welcomed the landmark decision to add safety and health to the International Labour Organization (ILO)’s Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
This means that all 187 ILO Member States will now commit to respect and promote the fundamental right to a safe and healthy working environment, whether or not they have ratified the relevant Conventions.
RoSPA is proud to work alongside the ILO as part of the international safety and health community and regularly collaborates on key issues affecting workers’ safety and health worldwide.
A recent example is RoSPA’s signing of an open letter calling on the South Korean authorities to ensure Safe Rates system of pay in road transport is made permanent and extended to cover more sectors. This follows the ILO’s Guidelines on Decent Work and Road Safety in the Transport Sector which clearly shows the link between rates of pay and safety and health at work.
Dr Karen McDonnell, RoSPA’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy Adviser said:
“We warmly welcome the adoption of safety and health as a fundamental workers’ right. Of the 7 billion people on our planet, more than 3 billion are employed. They all have a right to expect that the risks to which they are exposed while they are earning a living for themselves and their families are properly controlled. We want to see these standards being actively accepted and implemented.
“No economic body or employer can begin to put hand on heart and say they can guarantee safety and health as a human right unless they subject themselves to implementing these fundament standards. Governments and industry bodies around the world now need to insist on a clear programme for implementing the standard for all workers throughout their economy and throughout the international supply chain. This needs to happen in all industries: Nobody should be forgotten or overlooked. Trade unions, where they exist, also need to ensure that these standards are fully cognisant of – and open to – workforce involvement in the management of occupational safety and health.”
More information: https://www.rospa.com/lets-talk-about/2022/june/rospa-hails-ilo%e2%80%99s-incorporation-of-safety-and-heal
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more that has been brought together in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your health, safety and fire information requirements!
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- is easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, wellbeing and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world in these very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2022 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff whether they are working from home or actually in the workplace and update their information resources.
Check out these successful efforts that are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE and OSHWORLD and introduce them into your workplace!
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety, fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.
For a 15 DAY FREE NO OBLIGATION TRIAL contact: Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd | email: email@example.com | or fill in the Interest form www.sheilapantry.com/interest.html