Lead and engage with others to improve your workplace health and safety priorities
Sheila Pantry OBE
The UK Health and Safety Executive’s Health and Work programme was launched last year to reduce the harm to health caused by poor management of risk. The three priorities for this programme are occupational lung disease, musculoskeletal disorders and work-related stress as they have the most impact on people’s lives and the economy.
This programme is supported by Go Home Healthy, a multi-channel campaign with an estimated reach of over 40 million people accessing our information on combined media and social media platforms, which promotes our continued commitment to tackling ill health in the workplace.
Occupational lung disease priority
Part of HSE’s focus this year has been the Healthy Lung Partnership (HLP) on occupational lung disease.
As part of Go Home Healthy, the HLP aims to: build understanding – positively influence behaviour to reduce ill health in the workplace; positively influence employers to play their part in improving work-related health; improve attitudes to health and safety in the workplace – by working with others to create good healthy working practices. There are an estimated 20 000 new cases of breathing problems caused or made worse by work-related occupational lung disease each year in the UK, with approximately 400 000 working days lost and estimated to result in approximately 12 000 deaths each year.
To broaden the reach of HSE’s influence they have been working with other organisations and finding new ways of engaging with people to promote awareness and positive behavioural change. This includes the British Lung Foundation (BLF) who have established the Taskforce for Lung Health which includes professional associations, other government departments and voluntary sector organisations. The BLF published their five-year plan for improving lung health in December 2018.
For more information on strategies and plans see the UK Health and Safety Executive Annual Report and Accounts 2018/19 published on 20 June 2019 visit www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/reports
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
You will find many examples of good practices, information, guidance and advice, research reports, leaflets and much more that has been brought together in OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com – THE key tool to all your health, safety, fire and information requirements!
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as occupational lung disease, musculoskeletal disorders and work-related stress air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress, wellbeing and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection having information going back over 80 years or more so useful for researchers.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world covering very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE and FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2019 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff and update their information resources.
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up to date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety and fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.
Update your 2019 diaries with training for workers at all levels
Whether you are a manager, director, safety representative, supervisors or worker it is time to
- check out the training needed in your workplace.
- look at the latest additions to the Diary of Events and you will see plans have been made already worldwide well into 2019 offering training courses, symposiums, webinars and conferences in many places in the world on a wide range of subjects.
- make sure you do not put off training for yourself and your staff. In these days of tighter budgets perhaps training may be put on the “back-burner” – but think again how you can keep up with the latest techniques and training opportunities.
- remember accidents and ill health in the workplace is costly.
Remember that even if you cannot attend these many events, speakers and organisers are often willing to share their knowledge. Look at the details – where possible, we add in the web sites of these events so you can request further information. And do let me know if you are organising any OSHE events so that these can be added to the OSHWORLD Diary.
This month’s OSHWORLD FOCUS is entitled New ILO Convention 190 to combat violence and harassment at work.
OSHWORLD – your portal to some great OSH web sites in the world
Wherever you are in the world have a look at your health, safety, chemical, fire and environment procedures in your workplace and update them. Your review may also indicate training requirements and re-thinking how systems and services can be improved. This is where the free-of-charge OSHWORLD can help you.
In addition to the above we hope that you find the information in OSHWORLD useful in your daily work. Globally there are continually new titles, news items, new products so remember to look at the News to find the latest information from a range of worldwide sources.
Use OSHWORLD as your portal to many hundreds of validated and authoritative web sites that you can find in the Country and Subject links we offer. New subject topics are constantly brought together on web sites, e.g. nanotechnology and the workplace.
Most information services have a reference shelf where you can quickly check the reference sources – so OSHWORLD brings you a collection of Reference sources and also teaches you how to Search the Internet.
Visit the various Bookshops to order any new document as they are being published. Many of these Bookshops have a constant stream of new titles available.
Please send any suggestions or comments about OSHWORLD – your portal to validated and authoritative information. Remember also to look at our other really useful sites – www.sheilapantry.com and why not make a free entry about your company’s products in www.shebuyersguide.com.
Don’t forget to learn from history – visit
An invaluable resource for students, lecturers, trainers, health and safety professionals and others with a general interest in industrial history, the site sets out developments from the 1802 Factory Act all the way through to the most recent regulatory changes made by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Also see www.sheilapantry.com/memorial
Don’t work harder – work smarter! Be ahead of the game.
Well did you have a zero accident, incident-free and healthy 2018 in your workplace? Some would argue that this is not possible! But keep on trying again in 2019.
And do continue to make plans for your campaigns for 2019 and beyond!