Managing work-related stress as part of a prevention culture
Sheila Pantry OBE
‘Managing work-related stress as part of a prevention culture’ is a new white paper from the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) that argues why you need a proactive approach that includes tackling the organisational factors that contribute to work-related stress.
It promotes the HSE Management Standards approach – a systematic approach to implementing an organisational procedure for managing work-related stress.
It also promotes HSE’s new Stress Indicator Tool survey software, designed to give you a scientifically robust insight into the six key areas of work design that, if not properly managed, are associated with poor health, lower productivity and increased accident and sickness absence rates.
Toodle-pip to paper?
More and more of us are choosing to go paperless, so if e-books are now your thing, then HSE has turned some of its most popular titles into digital formats.
The following HSE titles are now available to purchase in an eBook format from 19 digital outlets, including Amazon, Kobo and iTunes.
- HSG48 – Reducing Error and Influencing Behaviour
- HSG65 – Managing for Health and Safety
- HSG 268 – The Health and Safety Toolbox: How to control risks at work
- L5 – The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002. Approved Code of Practice and Guidance
- L24 – Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Approved Code of Practice and Guidance
- L122 – Safety of Pressure Systems – Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000
Search for them in your device’s usual eBook store.
This month’s OSHWORLD FOCUS is entitled Don’t let safety and health take a holiday this year.
OSH UPDATE + FIRE
OSH UPDATE + FIRE is:
- is easily searchable by keywords, titles, journal names, standard number, authors, organisations, and will keep you and your colleagues alerted to hot topics such as air pollution, robots in the workplace, stress and aggression in the workplace, workplace health risks, lone workers, preparedness and business continuity, risk assessment, bio-terrorism, management of road risks, all aspects of fire and related fire topics, workplace health and safety and much more.
- long established from mid 1990s with some of the databases in the collection service having information going back over 80 years or more.
- arguably the largest electronic collection in the world in these very wide subject areas from worldwide sources. There is a special collection of OSH legislation, guidance and advice within OSH UPDATE + FIRE!
- The 26 databases and contents are from worldwide class organisations such as the US NIOSH, the UK Health and Safety Executive, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work and many more similar organisations in the world.
This time of the year is a good time for all organisations worldwide to review their health and safety goals for 2018 and decide on the training or re-training that is needed for all levels of staff and update their information resources.
Check out these successful efforts that are in OSH UPDATE + FIRE and OSHWORLD and introduce them into your workplace!
- It is always good to keep researching and finding out if there are services and other ways of keeping up-to-date in this fast-changing world of ours.
- Time is precious and many people are really stretched in their jobs and find it difficult to keep ahead in current knowledge that they should have for their jobs.
- So help is at hand for those working in health, safety and fire and fire related industries which are brought together in an easy to use web service entitled OSH UPDATE + FIRE www.oshupdate.com that is constantly updated.
Then try these long established Practical, Affordable Solutions for your health, safety, fire and environment information needs from Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd.
For a 15-DAY FREE NO OBLIGATION TRIAL contact: Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd | email: email@example.com | or fill in the Interest form www.sheilapantry.com/interest.html
Update your 2018 diaries with training for workers at all levels
Whether you are a manager, director, safety representative, supervisors or worker it is time to
- check out the training needed in your workplace.
- look at the latest additions to the Diary of Events and you will see plans have been made already worldwide well into 2018 offering training courses, symposiums, webinars and conferences in many places in the world on a wide range of subjects.
- make sure you do not put off training for yourself and your staff. In these days of tighter budgets perhaps training may be put on the “back-burner” – but think again how you can keep up with the latest techniques and training opportunities.
- remember accidents and ill health in the workplace is costly.
Remember that even if you cannot attend these many events, speakers and organisers are often willing to share their knowledge. Look at the details – where possible, we add in the web sites of these events so you can request further information. And do let me know if you are organising any OSHE events so that these can be added to the OSHWORLD Diary.
OSHWORLD – your portal to some great OSH web sites in the world
Wherever you are in the world have a look at your health, safety, chemical, fire and environment procedures in your workplace and update them. Your review may also indicate training requirements and re-thinking how systems and services can be improved. This is where the free-of-charge OSHWORLD can help you.
Resources for you to quickly access
In addition to the above we hope that you find the information in OSHWORLD useful in your daily work. Globally there are continually new titles, news items, new products so remember to look at the News to find the latest information from a range of worldwide sources.
Use OSHWORLD as your portal to many hundreds of validated and authoritative web sites that you can find in the Country and Subject links we offer. New subject topics are constantly brought together on web sites, e.g. nanotechnology and the workplace.
Most information services have a reference shelf where you can quickly check the reference sources – so OSHWORLD brings you a collection of Reference sources and also teaches you how to Search the Internet.
Visit the various Bookshops to order any new document as they are being published. Many of these Bookshops have a constant stream of new titles available.
Please send any suggestions or comments about OSHWORLD – your portal to validated and authoritative information. Remember also to look at our other really useful sites – www.sheilapantry.com and why not make a free entry about your company’s products in www.shebuyersguide.com.
Don’t forget to learn from history – visit
An invaluable resource for students, lecturers, trainers, health and safety professionals and others with a general interest in industrial history, the site sets out developments from the 1802 Factory Act all the way through to the most recent regulatory changes made by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Don’t work harder – work smarter! Be ahead of the game.