Don't fall from it! Labour Inspectorates across Europe launch a campaign in the construction industry
Sheila Pantry, OBE
Labour inspectorates of the European Union (EU) have launched a European campaign in the construction industry. The campaign, in 2003 and 2004, features simultaneous intensive inspection initiatives in all Member States of the European Union supported by publicity initiatives in association with the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work to raise awareness in the sector.
- More than 1300 people die in construction accidents each year in the EU
- Worldwide, construction workers are three times more likely to be killed and twice as likely to be injured as workers in other occupations
- The costs of these accidents are immense to the individual, to the employer and to society
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are most affected by construction accidents
The focus of the campaign is the prevention of falls from height. The inspection campaign will ask the following questions:
- Have the dangers of falling from height been properly catalogued?
- Have the necessary preventive measures been taken and equipment installed and made available?
- Have the correct choices been made regarding equipment and measures and are these being properly used and maintained?
- Are co-ordination obligations being properly met and is health and safety taken into consideration in the selection of contractors and subcontractors?
The publicity will target all stakeholders engaged in construction activity, including:
- Trade Union representatives
Meanwhile OSHWORLD continues to bring you news, publications, web sites that you will find useful in your daily work. Look at the latest additions to the Diary of Events and you will see plans have been made already worldwide up to 2005 to have training courses, symposiums and conferences in many places in the world on a wide range of subjects. Don't forget that on 3 November 2003 there will be a major conference on Food Safety in Europe FSE2003.
On 4 - 5 November 2003 Eurohse2003 takes place also in London, UK. This is a major event for all occupational health and safety practitioners and managers. Already bookings have been made for both conferences. So do not wait until it is too late to get into these important events.
Your OSHWorld Portal
Globally there are continually new titles, news items, new products so remember to look at the News to find the latest information from a number of sources.
Remember to look at the Products and Services on this web site and see what is new and updated, such as Environment Plus which has attracted users not only from the UK but around the world. The guidance, advice, and the information in the legislation will help all those achieve a safer workplace and leisure environment. There is an ever increasing range of full text information now in Fire Worldwide. See for yourself and take a free 30 trial - either via the Internet on CD-ROM. Contact Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd, UK | Tel: +44 (0)1909 771024 | Fax: +44 (0)1909 772829 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Most information services have a reference shelf where you can quickly check the reference sources - so OSHWORLD brings you a collection of Reference sources.
Click onto the various Bookshops to order any new document as they are being published. Many of these Bookshops such as H&H Scientific Information Ltd have a constant stream of new titles available.
Please send any suggestions or comments about OSHWORLD -your portal to validated and authoritative information. Remember also to look at our other sites - www.sheilapantry.com and www.shebuyersguide.com.
Hope you have a zero accident and incident-free year in 2003 in your workplace.